The foundation and construction of the Monastery approximately in the year 1540 is due to the Holy David the Elder. When he was still young, he managed to build it at an altitude of 500 m in the shadow of Mount Telethrio, among a dense forest of pine and fir trees.
The Saint originated from Gardinitza. When he was still young he became a monk. He was Abbot of the Monastery of Varnakovi, lived as ascetic on Mount Stirion and suffered by the Ottoman lord of Livadia. “Led by the Holy Spirit”, he went to Euboea where he built the Church of the Transfiguration at a point where there was an older church near the village Rovies and “built a perfect Monastery”, that soon attracted many monks. The rumor of his holiness spread quickly, he made many miracles and before dying as a Saint (on November 1st) he led many people to the salvation “due to the greatness of his speech and work”.
During the Byzantine years the Emperor had awarded the Monastery titles that were unfortunately destroyed when it was burnt down. Furthermore, a Patriarchal sigillum of 1638, during the years of Patriarch Cyril, recognized the Monastery’s architectural and patriarchal value.
During the revolution of 1821, the Monks supported the fight and caused the wrath of the Turks who plundered the Monastery; it was renovated in 1877.
“Agioneri” (Holy Water) is located at a distance of one km north of the Monastery. According to the tradition, Saint David hit with his stick the rock and good, abundant and healing water sprung. In addition to this, at a distance of 20 minutes’ walk you will find the “Askitirion”, ascetic dwelling of St. David, a small cave on a rock with the church of St. Charalampos.
The Monastery lived a period of glory and growth during the years of the Abbot Iakovos Tsalikis (1975 – 1991) who was known to be a saint man. Many Christians from all over the Greece visit the Monastery in order to honour the holy relics of many Saints and of course the relic of its founder, Saint David the Elder.
Source : www.edipsos.gr