Gouves (meaning Holes) is a historic village of N. Euboea. It is located on the road between Istiaia and Chalkida at a distance of 15 km from Istiaia and belongs to the Municipality of Artemisio. It is a traditional village built in a natural depression formed from the surrounding hills that are full of pine and olive trees. The village was named after this natural location. Its altitude is 60 m, it is inhabited by approximately 500 people and it is at a distance of 2 km from the sea. During the Turkish occupation the entire region was dominated by the Turkish Bey Mohamed Ibrahim and his sister, Haime Nayle. In 1831, the Turks sold their real estate property to the Greeks Vaptistis Drosos and Alexandros Desylas. In 1882 the totality of the village’s land passed to the villagers. The Tower dominates from the top of the village where the poet Georgios Drosinis lived. The Tower has been renovated and operates today as a Museum. The Tower was built a little while after 1800 by Ibrahim Aga. The architect was a slave named Ahmed, who was released upon completion of the work as reward for his services. The builders and their assistants worked in the surrounding villages and as a payment, they received only a few cabbages from the Aga’s Tower. Ibrhaim Aga received three villages (Gouves, Agriovotano and Kastaniotisa) as dowry for his one and only wife, Emine. Nevertheless, he preferred to live in his Tower at Gouves. Aga had two daughters, Ayle and Imeti and one son, Mahmud. Ibrahim Aga was a drunken and very cruel man. This part of his character gave birth to rumors that the Tower was haunted (every old castle that respects itself should have a psychic history after all). Aga once tortured and slaughtered with his knife a disobedient Arab servant at the ground floor of the western turret. The stains from the blood of the poor Arab remained indelible on the Tower’s walls despite any effort to clean them. Before the Second World War, during the years of Metaxa, the famous fortresses of Gouva were built at a sea location of strategic importance; they were used during the war for fortification. These fortresses were used by the Germans conquerors during the Occupation period (1941-1944). Today only the ruins of these forts remain.
Source : www.edipsos.gr